Sunday, February 9, 2020

Quilt Repair Time

A couple of years ago, a pretty vintage quilt, Grandmother's Flower Garden, was purchased at a reasonable price. 

The reason it was inexpensive was because it needs repairs along one edge.  It looks like something tugged or pulled at one edge. Maybe a critter had a snack 😱. 

Other than that, the quilt is just about perfect. Hexies neatly hand pieced and quilted with no other issues. Mending is not my favorite hand stitching. You've probably all heard the saying, "Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint a garage." That's me!

Today, I'm going to get started on the repair work while linking with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching. Hopefully, it won't be too painful since overall it is a pretty project to be mending. All the while, I shall be watching and enjoying the Pebble Beach Golf Tournament that has spectacular scenery.


The green grass alongside the Pacific Coast is a site for these weary winter eyes. Sorry, I digress. First, I'll add cotton batting and/or wadding. I found yellow cotton that blends nicely. I will make a few new pieces and applique over the damaged ones. I'm nervous about removing the old pieces as they are hand pieced and hand quilted. I rather no disrupt the maker's work. It is a cheerful project to be working on.  




Thanks for stopping by!
Jill


15 comments:

Angela said...

Good luck with the repair. It is such a pretty quilt, it will be worth it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have you decided how you will repair it? do you have a yellow in your stash that is close to the same? possibly take out (or leave in place) the two or three damaged and sew in place over the damage front and back and quilt in place?

Jill said...

Thank you. I hope so! I'm going to start it shortly.

Jill said...

Yes, I do have some yellow in my stash and hopefully it is enough. I do like your suggestion and I was thinking along those same lines. Great minds think alike 😉. I shall do a follow up post as certainly, I'm not the only one with quilts that need repair. Thanks!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh that's a very pretty Grandmothers Flower Garden. So glad that you are willing to take the time to repair it! The original maker I am sure the orginal maker would be so thrilled you are saving it!

Jill said...

Yes, it is pretty. While gathering supplies and plotting my repair strategy, I note the maker put many hours piecing and quilting. She (maybe a he) made very neat & tidy stitches. Definitely worth a little bit of repair time. Now that I have my repair pieces cut and ready to sew, it's no longer a chore.

Deb A said...

Pretty quilt! Good luck with the fixes. That reminds me.... I have a binding to repair on a 12 year old quilt for my son.

Kim said...

Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts are always beautiful. How wonderful you have your very own. I think you will enjoy repairing this treasure, and thinking upon all the love, care and time that went into the stitching of this pretty. I look forward to seeing this quilt when you have made it 'as new' again.

Jill said...

Half the battle is getting started. If I can do it, you can too!

Jill said...

The Grandmother's Flower Garden was a lucky find which involved being at the right place at the right time. Yet it was a bit of a disappointment to see the issue along the edge. The price was lowered and home it came with me. The repairs are coming along just fine and I shall be following up in a later post. Thank you for words of encouragement!

Kyle said...

What a fabulous quilt! It will be great to see your repairs. It doesn't look like it should be too hard now that your mind is wrapped around the idea.

Created by Kathi said...

Is this the only area that needs repair?? I love that quilt and the close up you added at the closing of this post too! Happy repairing then reward yourself with something you enjoy doing or can think on doing when this is behind you :) Kathi

Jill said...

It is quite the quilt as it appears to have been made circa 1940s based on the fabrics. Definitely, it was not used and most likely stored for whatever reason which shall remain a mystery. You are correct that it is not so hard now that my mind is wrapped around it and the repair work has started.

Jill said...

Oh gosh, there is another area that needed repair. It was discovered when I laid the quilt out to begin fixing. Grrr. I tackled that first and it wasn’t so bad after all. Basically, I’m winging it. Lol! I’ll post the final outcome.

Denise :) said...

What a beautiful quilt!! Don't think of it as a repair--think of yourself as a quilt restoration professional! Restoring a quilt is lots different from mending a torn knee or replacing a button, don't you think? It's much more important!!! Looking forward to seeing your handiwork! :)