Quilt Show Photos

The 2017 Sauder Village Quilt Show was wonderful. Lots of eye candy wherever you turned. Of course, my favorite was, Teresa's (Fabric Therapy) quilt entitled "Contentment." Her blue ribbon and people's choice award were well deserved.



Lots of other lovely applique and pieced quilts.









Teresa from Fabric Therapy took a plethora of photos which are posted on her blog. My goal of completing Dress for Success (Holly Holderman design) was met (barely) and that it was nicely displayed.
I admit that I am ready to move onto making another quilt. Actually, I have four going around in my head. Lol!

Jill



A Finish and A Show

Dress for Success is completed. Yay!

The quilt is in Ohio at the Sauder Village Quilt Show. If you live within three hours of Archbold, it is well worth the drive as they usually have over 400 quilts on display. Show runs from Tues., May 2 through Sun. May 7, 2017.

Dress for Success was made from two pre-printed panels designed by Holly Holderman of LakeHouse Dry Goods. Borders are my own. The first border consists bright colored squares. The outer border is a finely checked red which can read as a solid, but has a bit of interest. The red and white striped border was inspired by Red Pepper Quilts striped bindings.
This is the first quilt that I machine quilted with the use of a walking foot. It was a pleasant surprise that I could machine outline (slowly) the dresses. Minimal hand quilting was done near the neckline and embellishments as access with the walking foot was limited.
Similar dress quilts have been stipple quilted. Since I am not confident with free motion, I stitched a traditional straight diagonal on the background. My intent was to have the dresses stand out and not the quilt stitches.

There is stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, more diagonal lines in the squares (easy peasy). For the outer border, I used a stencil and marked with a washable Crayola which I pretested. Although the marks soaked out, I was a nervous wreck that they would stain the quilt. In the future, I will use another marker or method.

Since this was a pre-printed panel, I under estimated the time it would take. Lol. Has that happened to you on a quilt project? Hand embellishments took time as each dress is different. The diagonal quilt stitching required many starts and stops at each dress. I persevered for the Sauder Village Quilt Show entry deadline which also coincided with the Grand Rapids AQS deadline.

Looking forward to starting another quilt. There is fabric in my stash anxiously awaiting.  :-)

Jill



Machine Quilting

Decent progress is being made on machine quilting the dolly dress quilt. The time consuming part is securing the stitches when I come to each dress.
Painter's tape was being used as a way of marking the diagonal lines. I have found that the tape gets in the way. At times, while staying clear of the tape, the stitching lines would go wayward (not so good). Therefore, the diagonal lines are lightly marked with a silver pencil. Specifically, a Berol Verithin #753 which is used to mark blue prints. The stitching is going faster and straighter. The pencil idea came from Gretchen's Little Corner. Of course, I tested the washout capability on a practice piece. The light gray lines can also be erased with an artist's white eraser.

Last weekend I attended my first quilt retreat. Approximately 60-70 people attended. One can work on their UFOs or take a class.
Bay Shore Camp, Sebewaing, MI
Paula Nadelstern of kaleidoscope quilt fame taught a two-day workshop and gave a lecture. Some of the ladies completed their starbursts. Paula will be teaching in Paducah next month.

Please check out other WIPs this week at Esther's fun blog.

Jill