Sunday, January 29, 2017

Basting Dolly Dress Quilt

Finally, the quilt top is done and I have begun hand basting the layers together as I join other kindred stitchers at Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday.



Per online classes and youtube tutorials, I have prepared the top and backing by starching. It has a nice smooth finish and the basting is going well. This is the second time using the board basting method as presented by Sharon Schamber. It is much easier on the knees! I actually find it more relaxing than boring.  It is easy on my eyes today as I have natural light coming from the window. Despite it being another cloudy day in Michigan, there is a brightness from a recent dusting of snow.



The plan is to have it all basted today and ready to machine quilt the sashing with a walking foot. Personally, the thought of free-motion quilting is intimidating, and I do not desire this fun quilt to be my practice piece. Each dress will be outlined quilted by hand which was practiced and mentioned in the previous post. The hand quilted outline makes the dress stand out better in my humble opinion. Practicing on extra panels was quite beneficial.

May you have smooth stitching this week.

 Jill


7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I haven't tried this method of basting, but it sure does beat crawling around on the floor!
Enjoy spending time with this project today!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I will be crawling around on the floor later today... your method looks easier on the back and knees!

CathieJ said...

I like your basting idea. I am always doing this on the floor or with several tables lined up.

Jill said...

The hand basting has been enjoyable. Thanks for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching.

Jill said...

If I were to hand baste on the floor, I'd be putting on my gardening knee pads. Lol. Arthritis prevents me from pin basting. Hope you were able to do some basting today.

Jill said...

The board basting method has been easy. Next I worry about how taut the tension of the three layers will be when I machine quilt the sashing. Thanks for visiting.

Barb said...

What a sweet quilt. I haven't tried the board method yet. Let us know how it goes.