Sunday, June 24, 2018

Old and New Stitching Project

Today on Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy, I have two projects. The first one is I can now add bling to my fancy needlepoint heart as the background stitching has been finished, yay


The second stitching project was inspired by a quilt that I saw at the Sauder Village Quilt Show. The light and dark fabrics forming a background circle pattern has fascinated me.

However, I found it stressful to piece the Winding Ways / Wheel of Mystery block either by hand or machine. Too much eye strain piecing the narrow curved points in the center.  When I saw the block at the quilt show, my initial reaction was that it was appliqued. Upon close inspection I could see that it was pieced. I give the maker credit. Next, I experienced a light bulb moment,
 "Why couldn't I applique the blocks?" You are welcome to follow along on my experiment.


Yesterday two of my favorite girls and I went on an adventure out to the country to pick Michigan strawberries.


Nearby there were sweet cherry trees and we were able to gather a flat of cherries. Needless to say both girls managed to meet their daily requirement.



In between hand stitching, I was going to make a batch of strawberry jam, however, by today many were over ripe and too soft for canning. :-(  Hopefully tomorrow I can find some Michigan strawberries nearby and uh....already picked.

Jill


5 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Yummy strawberries and cherries. Looking forward to seeing where the beads are going to go on your heart.

The Cozy Quilter said...

It will be interesting to see how the appliqué winding ways works out too.

Jill said...

Pink rhinestones go down the center. They do add interest. I'll post the blinged up heart and the results of my applique winding ways.

Sarah said...

Looking forward to seeing your heart bejewelled!

Jill said...

"Bejeweled" sounds so elegant and better than "bling." Thanks! I may borrow the word in a future post.