Sunday, April 19, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Today I am returning to unfinished hand basting on the red and white quilt. Not the most glamorous of stitching projects.  When the basting is complete, it will be a good feeling as then I’ll be able to begin the quilting process. Since the quilt is a contemporary style, it will be machine quilted although I love the look of hand quilting.



The block is called the disappearing four-patch.
It goes from this

 to this (sorry print is different)



When put together, this is the overall pattern
(although there are other arrangements)

This past week, I joined the mask making party a bit late due to surgery which was considered elective. One week later the hospital ceased elective procedures. Phew, I cut 😉 it close. The post-op follow-up doctor's visit was done via Facetime/Skype (whatever) which was a new, convenient experience. Anyway, the surgeon mentioned the hospital (medium size) is currently only treating Covid-19 patients. I live in the metro-Detroit area which is considered a hot spot. Michigan is in a strict lockdown. I digress.

Back to mask making. During the last few weeks of recuperating, time was spent viewing youtube and reading blogs in search of the perfect, most comfortable, most protective and quickest mask that one can make without elastic. No perfect mask found, yet I did like two styles:  the most-common pleated and the one that is sometimes referred to as the Olson mask.  


Masks with cloth ties were made first. I found them to be unnecessarily time-consuming and not all that comfortable. Knit ties are quicker, no need to sew edges and make for a more comfortable fit. I practiced on an old tee shirt with success. Then I bought some knitted fabric at my local big box fabric store (curbside pick up) and find it convenient to cut rows and rows of strips. I would love to show you a photo of recent masks made, however, they leave my house as quick as they are requested.  My favorite youtube videos and patterns follow:


As with many other stitchers, I shall balance mask making with creative sewing.

May you all enjoy Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy and please stay well!

Jill


Welcomed comments will be answered with a friendly email.

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you are recovered from your surgery - didn't realize you were in one of the hot spots - glad you sticking close to home. I need to make more mask as it sounds like we will be required to wear them for awhile

Kathy S. said...

THANK YOU for referencing your favorite mask patterns! I put an e-mail and a text out today for the best mask they have made so far. I'll check out yours since that's what I've been looking for. I also like the halter style tie mask (the one I made last week) that Bonnie Hunter referenced on her blog.

Now don't get mad at me, but I'm in Ohio. Go Bucks. LOL. I ordered some OSU fabric to make a couple of masks for my SIL at OSU. (I ordered some Kentucky fabric as well for my other sister in law.) Both of them work in the blood bank and the testing lab at Ohio State where they handle COVID-19 daily.

Glad your elective surgery went well and you are recovering. Glad to hear your virtual visit went well. Continued healing!

Karrin Hurd said...

I cut up t-shirts and made cotton knit ties. Glad your surgery went well, and you are recovering! Happy Stitching

Jenny said...

Pleased you have made a quick recovery from your surgery. I also had a quick trip to hospital, for an MRI, so weird to walk through the empty hospital corridors. Your red and white creation looks great!

Carol said...

Glad you were able to get your surgery in before they shut all elective procedures, Jill! So glad your recovery is going well, too. Love the red and white pattern in your quilt--I often wish I had taken up quilting, but seem to be content with my cross stitch :) Nice looking face masks--I'm still experimenting with them to find one that will fit me better. Take care now--being in Michigan must be quite worrisome at the moment...

Kim said...

The thing I love about all the protective masks people are stitching is the fabulous fabrics being used. I think in this rather worrying time seeing all these masks would perhaps put a smile in many a day. LOVE this quilt you are making. Fabulous pattern and fabulous fabrics. Enjoy your basting.

Sarah said...

I do like the disappearing four patch block and I also love red and white fabric! It's good you could have your follow up appointment by video takes a little bit of stress away. Stay well and safe.

Kyle said...

So glad your surgery went well. Elective or not, it still requires time to recover. I've done a few appointments via videos and I kind of like that convenience. Hope you can get quilting on your red and white quilt. Looks like it should be fun. Don't get too close to Detroit!!