Sunday, May 10, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome dear blog friends! Meet my lovely sewing lady friend  named Penelope.  She was made in England by Royal Doulton. Perhaps some of you have seen her elsewhere.  She is elegant, regal and relaxed while she embroiders.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if our hand stitching process could be as such.  Maybe on Mother's Day, you will have more time for delicate hand sewing.

Today's project, while I join many of you at Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, is a small cross stitch decoration.  It is all prepared and ready to be worked on.  It is named "Lil' Miss Snow Angel" by Sugar Stitches available on etsy.  With the aid of magnifiers, hopefully I can stitch on 32 ct linen. When completed, it measures only 3 x 4 inches (7.62 x 10.6 cm) so hopefully, I can finish.



During the past few weeks, I've also worked on the red and white quilt. Hand basting was completed and machine quilting was next. While I was hand basting, I had hopes that the quilt would tell me what quilting pattern to choose. It didn't happen.  All I knew was that I would use the walking foot as I'm not a free motion person. 




Although I consider myself more of a traditional quilter, this top has a contemporary feel and I struggled on deciding the quilting pattern. I tried standard quarter inch outline which looked blah. Then I tried curves & waves - made my astigmatism crazy going against the many straight lines. After spending too much time on pinterest and several samples, a plain straight line seemed to compliment it without making it too busy. Plus it is good walking foot practice without unnecessary stress.  ;-)



May in Michigan is a pretty month, flowering trees and shrubs begin to bloom.  My pink rhododendrons put on a show and then as a reminder that mother nature is in charge - it snows!  





All one can say is lol.  I'll close with a photo of a neighbor's huge weeping cherry tree.  Until next time, please take care and stay well!
Jill

Your welcomed comments will be responded with a friendly email. 

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the tree! we planted a Weeping Cherry Tree last year it is quite small still and had the prettiest flowers on it in March - I wonder if it will grow that large we thought it stayed small :) but at our age we won't have to worry about keep it trimmed.

Karrin Hurd said...

The tree is beautiful. I love that Angel you are working on. Lovely red and white quilt too!

Kyle said...

I would need super magnifying glasses to work on such a small x stitch. It will be very cute. Red and white quilts can't be beat. Finding the right quilting design can be a challenge. It looks like the simple straight line quilting fit the design. Springtime in Michigan. Yup.

Created by Kathi said...

What a precious piece you open with Jill... I love delicate and interesting art like that though :D I even don't mind keeping it dusted to keep it's beauty shining!!! I have no precious pieces like that here... we collect sewing machine stuff more atm. lol! I love that you showed your evenweave linen polka dot fabric in the frame like that.. I thought it went over the other way for some reason ... I just sent my daughter a hoop like that >>> Must check and see if she is using the frame and if she is using it properly if so! lol I just love how you decided to quilt that red and white quilt... I can't wait to see you share a washed and ready picture!!! Our weather is crazy in North Carolina too! lol As for your neighbor I bet they feel like that tree is now to close to the house as it can eat into the roof! We have some Bradford Pears digging into our roof we had to trim them back pretty severly to avoid it in the near future. Happy Mother's day friend <3 Kathi

Sarah said...

I don't think you can beat straight line quilting and yours looks spot on! Your spotty linen is really nice but I don't envy you stitching that tiny angel. Your Royal dalton figurine is very pretty, lovely colours.

Jenny said...

Straight line walking walk quilting is always a winner, I feel. FMQ and I dont get along very well either.

Kim said...

Your Penelope is a darling 'girl'. It evokes thoughts of simpler times when one sat under gorgeous weeping cherry blossoms and stitched the day away. Oh my goodness the Lil' Miss Snow Angel is tiny....however do you stitch these tiny pretties. I am loving the quilting you decided to do for your red and white and quilt; LOVE all those rows of straight lines. Sometimes simple really is the best isn't it. Hope you are enjoing a beautiful Mother's Day in that beautiful springtime part of the world of yours.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh what a marvelous weeping cherry! Iam with you walking foot quilting makes it doable for me too and I really like the look!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Penelope! She certainly doesn't look like me when I am stitching in my recliner and comfy clothes! The red and white quilt is beautiful, and I think your straight line quilting is perfect for it.

Joy Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.