Sunday, January 9, 2022

Hat Knitting

Progress was made on the knitted hat, yet not enough to get to the part of switching over to DPNs.  I should change the name of my blog to Slow Bliss instead of Sew Bliss (wink).  The suggestions received to used wood/bamboo DPNs are appreciated and will be used.


Some of my hand needlework time was done for a charity project. My church donates fleece blankets to local hospitals, nursing homes, etc.  Obviously with the pandemic, the need is greater than what the group can provide.  The group purchases the fleece at Joann's using coupons and buying remnants. The fleece is trimmed with a crochet rotary blade which gives perfect-sized holes for the yarn.  The fabric is coordinated with a complimentary yarn color and passed onto the volunteers who crochet the edges at their convenience in their own homes.  This was not a boring design to work.  


Every year I pick up a pre-planted Amaryllis bulb at the local big box store.  It bloomed this week with the help of a paint stick for support. Although it's a bit paler pink than what was pictured on the box, it was well worth the 5 bucks.

Knitting/crocheting today will be done while watching two of my favorite sports although they are opposites temperature wise: figure  skating and golfing.  This weekend is the US Nationals Skating Championships and the PGA is playing at a scenic golf course in Hawaii.

Maria Bell's championship performance

Sentry Tournament of Champions in Maui

When Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching post goes live, I hope to join her fellow stitchers. 

Jill




  

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such pretty yarn in your hat! I've done some stitching already and have a knitting project to finish today too. Have a great week!

CathieJ said...

I had never heard of a crochet rotary blade. A new gadget that I must buy! We have been watching the golf and the skating also. I love how the hat is coming along.

Ivani said...

Cute fleece blanket. Congrats for doing charity blanket.
I am Just courious about the crochet rotary blade.
Your hat is pretty. Love The tarn color you choose.
Happy stitching.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful hat, love the yarn color. I have never had an amaryllis before, and also picked up one when getting some other gifts at the nursery. I think mine is about to bloom also.

Kim said...

The fleece for the blanket is a wonderful pattern, and the black crochet edging looks fabulous. Yes, I would imagine there is a great need for such blankets. I laughed when I read "Slow Bliss"; I can relate to your slow progress, Jill. The hat is pretty. Have fun watching your favourite sports while you crochet/knit happily away

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a pretty hat that you are knitting. Love the color. I have always wanted to trim a blanket such as yours, but have yet to try it. Beautiful job. Have a great week and happy stitching.

Sarah said...

I love these self stripping yarns, it makes a good hat! Nice snuggle blanket, I like the idea of a cutting tool that makes the holes, it’s very effective with the black edges. You will be looking forward to the Winter Olympics I guess?

Jenny said...

I love the idea of the fleece blankets, they will be much appreciated listed, I'm sure.

Carol said...

Your hat is looking lovely, Jill--had to laugh at your Slow Bliss comment :) I, too, am definitely slowing down in my stitching as I get older. I'll be 67 on Sunday--can hardly believe it.

That is so sweet of you and your fellow church members to make the fleece blankets. I remember when my dad was in the dementia unit of a nursing home in 2014 and was given a lovely handmade quilt. I was so touched and I loved the idea that a complete stranger would give her time to create something warm and cozy for him.

Enjoy your figure skating and golfing--it's funny, but those were my mom's two favorite things to watch as well :)