Saturday, January 22, 2022

A Finish and a New Project

The wooly hat/beanie is finished :-)  It keeps my ears and head warm in our 20 degree Fahrenheit (-6.6 Celsius) temps on walks through the neighborhood. 



The brand of yarn is Diakeito from Japan. The only place currently available, per a quick online search, is on etsy with very limited supplies. Possibly it is not longer imported to US.  There is another ball in the stash and a matching scarf would be nice, however, I'm switching projects.  


This week's Slow Sunday Stitching project at Kathy's is a crochet-edge fleece blanket with a horse-themed print. A dear relative who is a horse lover is recovering from a successful serious major surgery. All are grateful. Hopefully, she'll be 
'back in the saddle' soon riding and training.

At the start of new year, decluttering, reorganizing, downsizing, minimalizing, etc began. Some items were  brought out of storage, put on display and/or hung on the wall.  Here is a quilt made several years ago which is now happy to see the light of day. It is now hanging in my sewing area.  Much better than being folded away in a closet.

Hanging it on the wall was a DIY project. It is hung by Command Hooks, disc magnets, metal plates, and a metal tension curtain rod slipped into the quilt sleeve on the back. Below is one of the DIY magnetic bracket hanging on the wall.  Note: there are two (2) holding up this 42 x 53 inch quilt. 


This is not my idea. Directions were found on youtube by Lynn at The Stitch TV Show.  Perhaps some of you may find this helpful if you want to hang a quilt. There is no damage to the wall. All supplies were purchased in the hardware department at a big box lumber store.

May you all have a good day!

Jill






9 comments:

Ivani said...

Your hat/beannie is beautiful, Jill. Good you finished it and now can protect your ears and head, -6,6°C is too cold.
The dress quilt is so sweety. Love it.
Happy slow stitching today. I am sure your friend will love her horse fleece blanket.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great hat! Lovely colours and the Pom Pom is perfect.
Glad to hear your family member’s surgery went well. The fleece blanket will be warm and cozy as she recovers
I like to display the quilts I have made too. Have a wonderful week!

CathieJ said...

I love your hat. It looks warm and cozy. I like that quilt. I have a similar way to hang quilts using a product called Hang It Dang It. It works like a charm, but I may try this method also as I have several tension rods that we no longer use. That fleece blanket is going to be greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing the edging that you crochet.

Carol said...

Oh, your hat turned out so cute, Jill! Love the fluffy pompom. I sure could have used it here yesterday as the temperature was -2 when I woke up--the coldest in 3 years! Of course, I didn't venture outside :) I'm so glad you got your quilt hung--it just makes me smile to look at it! That is such a clever way to hang it, too.

Hope your relative continues to improve, Jill--that sounds like a serious surgery. I'm sure your blanket will make her smile.

Do take care now and enjoy your week ahead!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely beanie! I love the little dress quilt!

Kim said...

LOVE your little quilt where twelve pretty dresses are the belles of the ball♡ Jill, it is so, so very pretty. That's the best thing about reorganising, decluttering etc etc, you find treasures that you had forgotten about. A beautiful and stylish woolly hat. Love the fur pom pom on the top. Your dear relative will love her little blanket with the pretty crochet edging. That is good news that her surgery was a success. Hopefully she will be riding her beloved horses in the not too distant future.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a sweet hat and just love your dress quilt. Thank you so much on the tip on how to hang the quilt Happy quilting.

Jenny said...

Lovely cozy hat with the gorgeous fur pop pom, it looks so nice and warm. Yats not needed here where I live, its summertime. The cute wall hanging is so nice, and happy to be out on display for you to admire, I'm sure.

Maggie said...

Love the quilt and hat, now the quilt gets to hang in a space where you can enjoy it everyday.