Sunday, January 28, 2024

A few stitching projects are in the works this last week of January. One of this year's goal was to quilt more and sew far sew good. 

The blue and white quilt is in the quilting stages. The decision was made to do straight line quilt with the rows one-half inch apart. First one-inch rows were stitched with a walking foot while following the walking foot guide. When all one-inch rows were completed, I went back and filled in another line in between. It is easy peasy as the walking foot fits in smack dab in the middle of the previously stitched one-inch  lines.


A few posts ago, I mentioned our flourishing winterberry bushes. When Christmas arrived and time for decorating, I was tempted to pick a few branches.

 However, I knew cold winter weather was soon approaching and the berries would be needed for bird nourishment. During a recent snow storm, a large flock of robins (at least 75)  landed in our trees and neighbors' as well. They were there for the berries. Within 90 minutes all branches were stripped bare. The berries were put to better use than for decorating purposes.


Perhaps there will be time for straight line quilting today, but not much as I'll be watching and rooting for the Detroit Lions play against the San Francisco 49ers. During the many annoying commercials, I'll be doing a simple crochet edge on charity fleece blankets. Hopefully, it will be a relaxing project while joining other stitchers at Kathy’s Quilts.

Happy Sewing!
Jill



6 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice quilting! I love walking foot quilting. Great tv watching project! You will be warm and cozy under your blanket as you crochet the edge.

Kim said...

I'm sitting here (it's 12.15 am) and watching the Australian Open tennis. It was a fabulous match. Hope your Detroit Lions were the victors. A machine walking foot is a great invention, isn't it?? Your straight line quilting is looking great.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great quilting, and crocheted edge.

CathieJ said...

I am interested in the crocheted edge you are making. Do you punch the holes first or just use the crochet hook? I have a blanket or two that need new edgings. Your quilting is great. I like that you left the berries for the birds.

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for the tip about straight line quilting. Kudos for leaving the berries for the robins. We are feeding the birds here in WY. Not many natural berries for them. I like the idea of crocheting while watching the games. I’m secretly rooting for the Lions too! Our son lives in Northern California and is a recently converted 49er fan, , so it’s a secret!🤫😁

Jenny said...

That certainly is a lot of Robins, I sure they appreciated feasting on your berries. Straight line quilting is a good way to go, and quite fast too.