Sunday, March 10, 2024

Binding and Rekindled UFO

Today I'm starting out with continuation of hand sewing quilt binding on the blue and white winding ways quilt. This photo shows the backing fabric. I try to find a coordinating fabric which gives more interest to the back.  The lighting was not ideal for this photo, yet you can see the nautical print and the walking foot stitches.


Can you spot the circular design created with square blocks. Photo is prior to quilting.

It's an old block pattern most commonly called 'Winding Ways'. Another name is 'Wheel of Mystery'. These blocks were created with the Chic Country ruler developed by Sew Kind of Wonderful. Trust me the points are far from perfect. It's the overall design that creates the circular motion.


While decluttering and downsizing this winter, I decided to rekindle a UFO. Admittedly, it's been put away too long. How long? Shall we say pre-Covid. Most likely I became stuck on what to do for a border (or none) as this is not my normal quilt style.  There are nine blocks made with the foundation paper method. What drew me to Kaffe Fassett's fabric was the vibrant colors.

When my eyes get tired of stitching the dark navy binding, I can take a break and remove the foundation papers from the back. A messy project.


While rekindling the UFO, a decision was made to add a 
floral applique border using the same Kaffe fabrics. Next decision is to machine or hand applique. The look of hand applique is the best.  Due to time limitations, machine applique may be quicker. 

Below is a beginner attempt at prepared-edge applique. Many videos were viewed as each 'pro' demonstrates their favorite method with a tweak here and there. What is working best for me is the freezer-paper starch method by Jill Finley on Fat Quarter's youtube channel. I'm using three sheets of freezer paper. She uses four. The difference is my tweak (wink).


Due to a lost hour of sleep (daylight savings time - spring forward clocks) I'll be extra Slow Sunday Stitching (and paper removing) with Kathy and her loyal friends.  

Happy Sewing!

Jill


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice projects on the go! I’ve been sorting out my kaffe fabrics. I recognise the same ones in your project.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I think winding ways looks spectacular!!! Those Kaffe fabrics are so bright and happy. Looks like you have interesting projects to keep you busy.