Sunday, September 1, 2019

Santa's Finish

Santa is all stitched and ready to go to the finisher. Yay! It's been a two-month project. When he returns all mounted and edged in decorative cording, I shall post another photo. This Santa is just one of a line of Squatty Santas designed by Strictly Christmas.

It was a small project and to best display his size, I've placed a pen nearby.

When needlepointing (a word?), it is recommended to do the fussy stitches at the end; i.e., fuzzy fibers, beading and other fancy fibers until the end. To protect Santa's angora beard, I basted a muslin scrap over finished beard to avoid possible, unnecessary soiling while stitching his beaded heart.



The motivation and support that I receive from Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday weekly posts and many participants has been immeasurable which has inspired me to a finish.  :-)  This week's slow Sunday Stitching will involve something less intense such as crocheting an edge on a fleece blanket for my church's charity closet.

In closing, here are a few more photos from the 2019 AQS Grand Rapids Quilt Show of which in my humble opinion should have been awarded a ribbon or at least honorable mention:


Isn't that a great name for a quilt.

 Someone thought of the box on this Edyta Sitar pattern by using a light purple background. Gorgeous!


May all Canadian and fellow American Slow Stitchers enjoy this Labor Day Weekend!

Jill

P.S. As I have an August finish, I will also be linking to the Crafter Quilter which is an informative blog hosted by Julie Cefalu. Thanks for the tip, Kathi of Designs Originals by KC.  :-)


19 comments:

Sarah said...

I just love how Santa has turned out but didn't realise how small he was (sorry Santa not being sizeist!) beautiful quilts too.

Karrin Hurd said...

I just adore your Santa, and thanks for sharing the beautiful quilts!

Jill said...

You are very welcome, Karrin!

Jill said...

Thanks Sarah! I finally realized that Santa appeared as a large project. He is on the small side with tiny stitches.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Great tip about protecting the fragile stitches! And thanks for sharing the quilt show pictures.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just love all that applique!! I must learn machine applique as I am working on a needle turn project right now and loose interest after awhile. Love the santa!

Jill said...

Thanks Karla for appreciating the tip as it was my only solution. Glad you liked the quilt photos.

Jill said...

Both quilts were breathtaking. I love applique also and started hand applique, but it is going so slow that I may convert to machine. Actually, I bought a precut applique kit which I plan on starting later in the month. Several machine applique tips can be found on youtube, but of course, you knew that already.

Little Penpen said...

His beard is beautiful! Great job!

Jill said...

Thanks! I was pleased with the beard

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I just love your Squatty Santa, and what a fun name for the patterns, too! Those definitely are beautiful quilts. I would never think to use purple as a background color like that!

Jill said...

Thank you. I would never have thought of using purple either, but I may keep it in the back of my mind.

CathieJ said...

I have so enjoyed watching your progress on that adorable Santa. I am going to miss him. I look forward to seeing him when he gets back from the finisher. Those quilts are gorgeous. Sometimes I wonder why certain quilts don't even get an honorable mention when they are so outstanding.

Kaja said...

Santa is very cute and somehow the fact that he is tiny makes him seem even better to me. Thanks for sharing the quilt photos - I too like that purple background a lot.

Jill said...

I appreciate that you enjoyed Santa progress. I'll miss and worry about him after I drop him off. I enjoyed the stitching, but am ready for a change. The problem is that I have so many projects to choose from, I can't make a decision. Both of those quilts were well made, I think the elaborate art quilts take precedence sometimes.

Jill said...

Santa appreciates your admiration. The purple background was way prettier in person. While looking back at the pictures, I note the maker used brighter fabrics for applique which helps make the pieces stand out. Both were gorgeous.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your Santa Claus looks so nice, great idea to cover up his beard. Thanks for showing the quilts from Grand Rapids. I didn't make it there this year, beautiful quilts! I especially like the one with the light purple background fabric. She was brave!

Jill said...

Thanks Gretchen. There were some gorgeous quilts with some being hand stitched which was refreshing, however, overall the show was not quite as good as other years - in my humble opinion. Not many midwest quilters represented.

Created by Kathi said...

Wow Jill! Sew happy I made time to come to your blog today and play catch up on blog reading with yours first!!! I love your Santa.. his beaded heart and his curly beard!!!!! How fun is he :D I look forward to seeing how you complete him from the state he is in now girl. You are amazingly talented to do this needlepoint so fun and the basketweave background too... I would want to rush to the beard and heart! lol How smart to cover the easily soiled areas with a little piece of fabric too!!!! Thanks for linking with Julie and noting my blog on your post too! Hope you enjoyed the quilt show you got to see too <3 Kathi