Sunday, August 11, 2019

Santa's Summer Getaway

Today's Slow Sunday Stitching post is written by Santa himself. 😉

When I learned that Jill was going 'up north' to spend a two days on Lake Huron in Oscoda, Michigan, I asked if I could be her take-along handwork project. "Certainly." was her response as an early September deadline is fast approaching for my finish.  Note to self:  I, Santa, so desire to be on display this Christmas and not be stashed away with other to-be finished projects.

We stayed at lovely inn/bed & breakfast overlooking a pretty green lush garden and the lake.  We relaxed outside on a covered porch and stitched away without the usual at-home distractions that interfere with precious sewing time. (Please continue to scroll down as there are extra blogger spacing.)





More easy and fast background fill-in stitches were completed.  One previously stitched section of snow, on my cap, was troublesome.  In Jill's eagerness to work with 'snow fibers,' she grabbed an off color which was unnoticeable until I was outside.

OMGosh, I had a pale yellow streak in the middle.  We both tried to ignore it, but it was bothersome and a plan was put into place. Being away from home and in a relaxed mood, the decision was made to carefully cut and pull out all the stitches and redo. 















Yikes! I felt like I has having brain surgery.  A seam ripper and tweezers were used.  I needn't worry as Jill was slow, patient and ever-so careful. When all old stitches were removed, we both breathed a sigh of relief and I was spared damage.







While I (Santa) was visiting Lake Huron, I visibly saw the heart-breaking effects of erosion from the high water levels. By the way, the white cottage is for sale. When the  family visited the same location last year, this bluff was a beautiful sloping sandy beach that extended 50 yards out.  It's shocking. Note to self: In December attempt to grant a Christmas gift wish to return the beach.





While joining Kathy and her Sunday Slow Stitchers, I proudly display my fresh all white re-stitched snow on the cap and furry work on hat trim.

Thanks for reading and please remember that the holidays will be here before we know it. 😉

Love, Santa



12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Santa, what a beautiful place for some stitching! So glad things went well in your surgery, too. You are really cute!

Jill said...

Yes, I enjoyed stitching in such a scenic spot. I'm really relieved that no membranes -opps I mean canvas threads were cut during surgery. Thanks for the compliment.

Jenny said...

How nice to hear from Santa himself! Now Jill, he has challenged you to get him completed in good time for Christmas. Otherwise, you may not get any presents!

CathieJ said...

Santa and you seemed to enjoy that vacations spot very much. So glad Santa has white snow on his hat now.

Jill said...

Lol, Jenny! I never thought of no presents should the 'what if' Santa is not finished in time for holidays. More motivation to continue. :-)

Jill said...

Actually, Santa wants to go back as two days were not enough. Both of us are happy with his white snow redo.

Sarah said...

Oooo love your hat and the white thread looks so good. You definitely don't want any other colour to spoil the snow!

Jill said...

Santa’s hat was the starting point. I look forward to working on his tassel. All white snow makes Santa look sharper. Thanks for visiting Sarah!

Lisa J. said...

it sounds like you had a similar experience to me. Santa was a great guy to have along on your trip and I must say he is looking great.

Quilter Kathy said...

Well Santa I want you to know that I have been a very good girl, so please make note of that :)
Your cap alterations look perfect!
Enjoy your wonderful holiday and hopefully the shorelines there can be restored!

Jill said...

Santa has noted that you are a very good girl! Santa thoroughly enjoyed his summer holiday.

Jill said...

Needlepoint Santa is glad that you are back to sewing. :-)