Thursday, March 13, 2014

Niagara Falls

Thanks for the well wishes on my overnight trip to view partially frozen Niagara Falls in the winter.  The quilt-in-progress came along in hopes of getting some stitching accomplished..

The Falls were absolutely beautiful with all the ice formations.

American Falls viewed from Canadian side
Canadian Falls (Horseshoe Falls) viewed from Canadian side
We had a special treat when a rainbow appeared.  A blessing.



Niagara Falls, Ontario is only a 3-1/2 hour drive from the Metro Detroit area.  Weather and roads were clear for our two travel days.  Our Canadian neighbors were very welcoming.

Of course, I did not get as much stitching accomplished as I had dreamed hoped.  Maybe 45 minutes worth.  Half of that was in the car.  My eyes were needed to assist my sister who was driving, sign watching, etc.  Also, I was pleasantly distracted by viewing the scenic snow-covered fields which were especially pretty against the winter blue sky.  It is not easy to quilt in car.  Too much fabric to handle, the smaller frame did not keep good tension, movement of the car, etc.  Oh well.  I tried.

In lieu of missing two quilting days, I stitched most of Wednesday (more than five hours) in order to 'catch up' on my fast approaching deadline at the end of the month.  I also managed to make a pot of chili and shovel some snow.  All the churn dash blocks are completed.  Yay!

Next is hand quilting along the bottom border and around the perimeter black border.


Adding binding and a sleeve are next.  Hopefully, I may make my target date while juggling medical appointments, previous commitments and all the life stuff that comes along.  Spring cleaning and other sewing projects are on hold.







No comments: